Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

I know, I know....I had mentioned my desire and resolve to post more often. I guess I am taking a "home teaching" view of this blog and getting it done once a month. But, hey...at least I'm doing better than most home teachers, right?? Uggghh...

Well, today is election day and I'm in Atlanta, Ga. for business. The nation (and the world) is abuzz with the pending outcome. I'm going to treat politics on this blog in much the same way I treat them at church. I'm staying neutral.

I will point out a few things about the election. However you choose to vote the country will go on. This election won't destroy the United States. I don't want to listen to "gloom and doom" predictions. I don't want to hear how our nation is headed for imminent destruction. We already know that at some point in the future things will be difficult. So why focus your time and effort on how bad it will be? Instead of spending your energies on weeping, wailing, and gnashing your teeth, why not enjoy your life? Sure, get your food storage together. Of course you should eliminate debt. It is wise to save. We all know these things. So...why waste your life worrying over future difficulties? Be prepared for those times, but live your life and smile.

Many will sit by the TV and watch the election returns. Some will moan and groan and predict that the president-elect will destroy the nation within 4 years. If that's you, I'd give you a bit of counsel. Spend less time predicting doom and spend more time making your country and your community the place you want it to be. Get your house in order and then serve others and help them with theirs. Life will go on. Make it worth living.

As for me, tonight I'm going to spend some time in the Atlanta temple.

Who knows...the world might not end until after the NEXT election.

4 comments:

Tim Malone said...

Great counsel bishop. Good to see you blogging again. Enjoy the temple. I also enjoyed a visit to the Atlanta temple on business in the past - a very memorable experience with my co-workers.

Jo Jo said...

Great post! I too am tired of hearing doom and gloom. (Tell Joy I'm looking for Halloween photos.) Amy Jo

Seth Adam Smith said...

This is a great blog. I also tire of hearing doom and gloom. Keep up the good work! I'll be checking back and forth for updates! God bless!

Anonymous said...

Hi
I stumbled across your blog on LDS BLOGS. I thought you might be interested in a site my wife and I just built called MormonsMadeSimple.com, which uses simple, explanatory videos to explain the Mormon faith. Feel free to feature any of these videos on your blog, or just share them with non-member friends. We're hoping these videos will be missionary tools to help members share their beliefs. Anyway, sorry to spam your comments section. I couldn't find any contact information for you on your blog.

- Doug & Laurel