Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Don't Give Up on Yourself...or Others!

First, I'm really sorry for the long time since my last post. I really need to get back on track. I was aiming for a post (or two) a week. Sometimes, I get pulled away by work, church responsibilities, school, and my family. Since the aforementioned list takes precedent over blogging I don't feel TOO bad, but I do enjoy the opportunity to share a thought or two.

I have been thinking lately on the idea of long-suffering. It's amazing to me that the Lord puts so much trust in us by giving us such great responsibilities. Sometimes I surprise myself by agonizing over Church callings. When I consider the fact that the Lord called me to be a parent of my children, my concern over callings seems to pale in comparison. The Lord called me to be a bishop. He must know something I don't. It's obvious that He has far more trust in us than we do in ourselves and others. Instead of thinking of reasons why we (or others) CAN'T magnify our callings, we should remember that the Lord in His infinite wisdom knows our potential. If the Master has confidence in us (by virtue of our call), don't we show a great lack of faith when we doubt ourselves? I have always loved the quote by J. Golden Kimball: "The Lord is far kinder to us than we are to ourselves".

When we are called by one of the Lord's servants we should NEVER turn it down, unless on conditions of unworthiness. We are given chances to serve and we grow in and through that service. When we decline callings out of fear (faithlessness) who benefits? Not you. Not your ward members. Not the Kingdom. God stretches His people by putting them in difficult situations and allowing them to struggle for a time. If we are faithful those struggles will become great sources of strength. Our faith will grow. Our fear will shrink. We will have conquered something small so when we are called to go through something REALLY difficult we will be steeled and ready for the challenge.

The same holds true of others. We should sustain them by helping them in any way we can. Thank them for teaching a Sunday school lesson. Compliment them on a talk delivered in sacrament meeting. I was once told we should go to church to uplift, not to be uplifted. I certainly agree with the sentiment and try to live by it.

Spencer W. Kimball once received a phone call from a mission president who was dealing with a troubled young missionary. The mission president and his wife were hosting the missionary in the mission home. One night the president awoke to find the young elder in their room standing over them with a knife. In a bit of a panic he had called Elder Kimball for counsel on what he should do. President Kimball's words were a great example of how we should strive to see each other succeed in our righteous endeavors. His advice to the mission president: "Save him".

Let's trust each other a bit more. Let's help each other a lot more. We can only put on the full armor of God if we are ready to enter the fray. Don't run from a calling (or a talk, lesson, etc.). When you say "yes" to your priesthood leader you are saying "yes" to our own eternal progression.

5 comments:

Larry Beck said...

You're not my Bishop but you wrote these comments directly to me! I just started a new calling that is definitely out of my comfort zone, and I'm struggling. For the most part I agree with the "accept every calling" counsel, however I remember one time that I was called to a new calling and within a few weeks the Spirit testified to me very strongly that this wasn't where I was supposed to be. I counseled with the Bishopric member and he prayed and agreed. The person issuing the calling needs to receive confirmation from the Spirit, but so does the person receiving the calling.

Joe said...

I have to agree with your blog….

One of the most exciting times I really enjoy is when we are on our knees praying to the Lord as a Bishopric and receiving the confirmation that this is who He wants to serve him and the ward members. The other exciting time I enjoy is when the Lord talks to me and tells me want direction we should go as a ward and who is to serve. There has been many times I would ask the Lord “Are you sure this is who you want to serve in this calling?” I would than usually get chastised by the Lord…which I am getting better not to question Him… I would than say to myself “WOW” what are my counselors going to say…but knowing them and having faith in them they will pray about it and also get the same testimony as I did. Than when the opportunity comes to extend the calling to that member…I hope and pray that they will accept the calling. Most of those that I have had this experience with have accepted the calling. After providing them instruction in their calling, the fun part begins by watching them grow closer to Christ. It just amazes me every times to see how our Heavenly Father uses the Priesthood Leaders to help his children return to grab hold of the iron rod. I am truly grateful the faithfulness of our Brothers and Sisters in the gospel and have the faith that the Lord does lead and guide us here on earth.

I really enjoy reading your Blog and I has help me…thank you for the time that you put into this.

Anonymous said...

I was rebaptized last august on the 19th (monday). I was called the following sunday in the nursery.
I laughed so hard when I was called.
Listen.
I don't like children and it seems that the only callings I got were always related to children.

The bishop told me several times before I got rebaptized that the ward needed me really bad. then when he called me he told me that he had asked everybody what their needs were and he got several option but felt inspired to call me in the nursery.

I laughed because I knew MONTHS before I got rebaptized that I would be called either in the primary or the nursery. Maybe "knew" is not the appropriate word. Let's say that I felt that God wanted me there.

Before being excommunicated I would have happilly said no.

I guess there is something important for me to learn about children because I have the feeling that I was just giving my paper back to take home and re-do on this subject.

TD said...

backandthen...Keep it up! I am so happy for you and your rebaptism. It will be a great blessing. I am so glad for you!

Jo Jo said...

Howdy stranger! Your wife sent us the link to your blog. Have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It may not be so apparent to you but we, the rest of us, know why you were called to be Bishop. Miss you guys, visit our blog to see how big the boys are getting. www.schenewarks.blogspot.com
Amy Jo