Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Excellent Night

I just got back from the OKC temple. It was a great evening. I had a chance to reflect on some issues I've been pondering for some time. I also had a chance to visit with a few of the ward members and dispense some counsel. I was pleased to see so many saints in the temple tonight. Very encouraging.

I will be speaking this Sunday for ward conference on "strengthening families". I had a few flashes of inspiration tonight during my drive home. I have a strong indication as the direction I want to take for my talk. For some reason, I have a desire to give my talk with no notes. Perhaps THAT is an aspirational goal. I will be limited to 12 minutes. I'm not sure I trust myself enough to keep within that time constraint, especially if I am speaking from no text. George Albert Smith told Matthew Cowley when Elder Cowley was called to the Twelve..."Never write your talks". In short, he was telling Elder Cowley to go on inspiration and let the Lord guide his words. To this suggestion, Elder Cowley replied, "Oh, President, that's putting an awful burden on the Lord!" I agree.

I might need to take a few notes, at least.

No comments: