Friday, July 18, 2008

Ward Conference

Ward conference is on Sunday. It's always nice to have the folks from the stake in our meetings, but it does tend to make me anxious. Like most people, I am always sensitve to criticism. And, like most people, there are a lot of ways in which I can stand to improve.

One thing I have determined to do is spend more of our time in meetings discussing family needs. In particular, I want to focus on the ways in which priesthood and auxilaries can make a difference in the lives of the families of the ward. I don't get caught up in calendaring and activities. In general, my focus is correct. However, I could use some fine tuning to be more effective.

If anything, I focus too much time on missionary efforts in the ward. In that area, I need to start doing a better job of leading by example. How many missionary discussions have I had in my home?? The people will follow if I lead out. Missionary work works best when it happens in the homes of the members.

So....for ward conference I am assigned to speak on "strengthening families". I have 12 minutes. When the first counselor in the stake presidency called last night, I requested to have my new and former first counselors bear their testimonies in sacrament meeting. I let him know I'd be willing to volunteer my speaking time so that they could speak. How generous of me!

No comments: