Monday, July 28, 2008

Missionary Successes

We are preparing for six (you read that correctly!) baptisms this Saturday. I have often wondered what constitutes a missionary-minded ward. Well, I have a few ideas to share. This advice is worth what you paid for it, so be mindful that I am Bishop Davis and not L. Tom Perry.


When people ask what our ward is doing to encourage missionary successes I tend to list a few things we do that I am most proud of.

First, we talk about missionary work. I dedicate about 70% of my weekly PEC meetings in discusssing the missionary efforts of our sister missionaries. Now, here's the thing that makes all the difference: we get members involved! It's not a deep mystery of the Kingdom how to get baptisms in a ward. If you get members involved in the work, it works. I have called ward missionaries from the priesthood quorum and ward auxilary leaders. It's not that I only call presidency members, but I call those that exhibit leadership qualities. My ward missionaries include a former high councilor, former High Priests group leader, former (and current) YW presidency members, etc. That way, the ward mission leader has leaders (in terms of personalities and not necessarily callings) to take the missionary efforts back to the quorums and auxilaries.

Second, I make sure to have the YM, YW, and Primary organizations lead out on missionary efforts. The leaders of those groups go to the homes of inactive members of their groups. They challenge parents to bring their children to church. They invite less actives and nonmembers to their activities. The kids get involved too. I have one active deacon in my ward. He is the deacons quorum president. I gave him a charge: take care of anyone that belongs to your quorum. If visitors show up, put your arm around them and let them know they have a friend in the Church. Help visitors feel welcome and they will continue to come. I told him that the Lord will test us. If we take care of those people He sends to us, He will send us more and our ward will grow. This young deacon's quorum president has faithfully followed that counsel. This Sunday, one of our baptisms is a young man...and he is deacon age.

Third, I have a wonderful ward mission leader. Simply put, our WML is excited about sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He holds ward open houses at our building every month. He gets members to commit to exchanges with the sister missionaries. When he speaks in sacrament meeting....well, you guessed it...he talks about sharing the Gospel.

Sure, we could be doing better. And we will do better. Soon, we will regularly hold missionary lessons in member homes. Members will be involved in teaching their neighbors. For now, I am happy to re-live the best 2 years of my life by facilitating our ward's missionary efforts.

Still, we have a lot of work to do. After all, missionary work does not end at the waters of baptism, does it? On August 4, I will celebrate my 17th year as a member of the Lord's Church. That anniversary keeps me excited to keep missionary work going strong!

5 comments:

achick47 said...

It is 2:30 A.M. and I have gotten out of bed struggleing with my need to request a visit with my ward priesthood. I have had an on going talk with the Lord for many days now and feel it is time to finally ask for a Temple recommend. I have been a member since 1974 and am just now feeling strong enough to ask for one. However I do not know my Bishop are any of my Ward members well enough to ask for help in seeking it. I litterly was led to your Blog. I now know that My Bishop is a Godly man and will be able to lead me ,as the Lord wants, to achieve my dream of Temple work and a direction for my path that has been missing all these many years. Tthe Lessons the Lord has carried me through to prepare me have been hard ones. Thank you for finding the time to Blog, you have reached another soul in your missionary work who really really wants to be more active, but who has never known how to ask for help in being active, my Pride (sin) has held me back way to long. Your fellow LDS member Angel Youngblood-Chick Abilene Texas Ward I

Justin Coulson said...

Bishop I really enjoy your blog, but find it difficult to read with the white on black background. I wonder if another template may be more "readable".

Blessings... Justin

Unknown said...

All you had to say was "Sister Missionaries"...THEY ROCK!!! No, I was not one yet I was taught first by Elders and MONTHS later finished the discussion because of the diligence of the Sister missionaries. I know, it was just the right time - but I love that our church still allows Sister's to serve. Did you hear about how your old Ward (Bishop) was called by Salt Lake and asked "How do ya'll get so many baptisms?" We have had all Elders for years now, which just proves both types of Missionaries are called of God to serve. Keep blogging.

Larry Beck said...

I'm a WML and had a "PPI" lunch with my Bishop yesterday. I mentioned your comments about calling ward missionaries with leadership experience. I've been a WML for two years, and you may have heard this joke before, but if not: A new Bishop is talking with the former Bishop. The new Bishop asks for advice, and the former Bishop says, "I've prepared three envelopes for you. You will come to a point as a Bishop that you will feel a need to open the first envelope. Do so, and follow the counsel". Sure enough, about two years into his calling, he was working through some difficult issues and decided it's time to open the first envelope. It contained one piece of paper and written on it were the words: "call new counselors". He did just that and everything was great for another year or so. Then he needed to open the 2nd envelope, which said the same thing as the first envelope, call new counselors. He did that, and everything went well again for a couple of years and then he felt the need to open the third envelope and it said: "prepare three envelopes"!.

I've been in a rut as a WML lately and so that's what I told the Bishop, I need new counselors, or in my case, ward missionaries. Or maybe it's time for me to be released. Thank you for sharing your perspective.

iHeartMormons said...

I find it interesting that you give your ward members and missionaries full credit for the number of baptisms you have seen recently. In sharp contrast, John 6:44 says that the Father draws men to himself. Converts, if looked at as a pure "numbers game," lose significance. I can take credit for my own work, or recognize that it's not about me, it's all about Him working through me. To God be the glory, right?

You might also find this interesting:

http://iheartmormonsblog.blogspot.com/

Enjoy!